Friday, September 08, 2006

Jung and Me, We Go Way Back...

This post is a little long-winded, so be prepared….
A few years ago I had to do a group presentation on Jung and Archetypal Literary Criticism
for my Literary Theory class. I think I would have loved that class were it not for the prof, who fell asleep during our presentation, and the raging arguments between our group members. Although I’m not a big fan of Literary Criticism at all, I am a fan of philosophy, and I discovered a lot of concepts which I could relate to life, if not literature. Back then I knew more than I cared to about Jung, and was more inspired by Deconstruction Theory and Jaques Derrida , and thus promptly forgot everything I ever knew about Jung immediately following the final (I had to make room for Astronomy in there somewhere.)
Fast-forward to last Friday afternoon at work: I found it nearly impossible to do anything productive, since I was SO excited about moving, and I casually started to think about personality types of the VPs at work. They are such a diverse group of fellas in a very old-fashioned-boy’s-club-mentality company, and where some are domineering, others seem truly helpless without their exec assistants. I often wonder what they go home to at night. Do the Domineering ones go home and do some more dominating there, or are they eager to give up their power to their blonde, ambitious third wives? Because personally, I have to be all perky, polite and well-groomed at work, and then I go home, put on my Lululemon yoga pants and revel in being antisocial. So I did a bit of searching online and found a link to a personality test, which just happened to be of the Jung-Myers-Briggs Archetypal persuasion. I was pretty floored at my results, because they seemed pretty bang-on… but really I had no idea.
I am considered an INFJ, with a break-down like so:
Introvert – 67%
iNtuitive – 75%
Feeling – 62%
Judgmental – 78%
I know that stressful situations bring out the worst in people, and this weekend that was proven to be true, as my quiz results were, one after another, put on display for family and friends to witness, with a prominence in Introvert and Judgemental. If only “clumsy” were in there too, it would be a perfect representation of me ;) Moment by moment, comments from my quiz result came floating back to me:
“There can sometimes be a "tug-of-war" between NF vision and idealism and the J practicality that urges compromise for the sake of achieving the highest priority goals.”
(This is when I don my Gillian The Dictator cap and start ordering people to perform tasks with very particular details as to how it should be done, until they suggest a better way, at which point I get irritated and my voice gets really squeaky.)
“The INFJ's thinking is introverted, turned toward the subject. Perhaps it is when the INFJ's thinking function is operative that he is most aloof.” (after a barrage of questions, I give up, shrug, and say “whatever. You know better than I do” And walk away because my brain hurts.)
“INFJs are true introverts, who can only be emotionally intimate and fulfilled with a chosen few from among their long-term friends, family, or obvious "soul mates." While instinctively courting the personal and organizational demands continually made upon them by others, at intervals INFJs will suddenly withdraw into themselves, sometimes shutting out even their intimates.” SO TRUE! I shut myself off to everyone this weekend, not returning voicemail messages, not checking my email and ignoring my buzzing phone. I had to make everyone go away and just listen to tunes and unpack to become normal again.
None of this is very surprising, but I was shocked by my consistency in displaying this. I am regularily accused of being aloof, and I didn’t really realize how true it was until about a year ago. I’m a very shy person, very introverted, and I don’t find myself to be very quick-witted or well-spoken, so I do have a tendency to try and meld into the background. But even with friends, I’ve been known to shut myself off or stop speaking with them altogether when things get too personal or uncomfortable between us. Most of the time I don’t even realize I’m doing it, and it surprises me when people call me on it; My instant wall. Impenetrable, Just Add Emotion :P Even when I ask my BEST friends about this, they just laugh and say "you have NO idea, do you?" I guess not!!!
At any rate, if you’re looking for a little insight into your little quirks, here’s a link to the quiz. SEND ME YOUR RESULTS!!!
To completely figure me out, here is the complete description of INFJ.

Much Love,
~g~

2 Comments:

Blogger Queen of Swords said...

INTJ

Introverted - 78%
iNtuitive - 62%
Thinking - 12%
Judging - 78%

"Natural leaders, Masterminds are not at all eager to take command of projects or groups, preferring to stay in the background until others demonstrate their inability to lead." Uh huh...

"INTJs know what they know, and perhaps still more importantly, they know what they don't know." Yup...

"Typical INTJ career choices are in the sciences and engineering, but they can be found wherever a combination of intellect and incisiveness are required (e.g., law, some areas of academia)." Hmm...

"for instance, they tend to have little patience and less understanding of such things as small talk and flirtation (which most types consider half the fun of a relationship). To complicate matters, INTJs are usually extremely private people, and can often be naturally impassive as well, which makes them easy to misread and misunderstand." Uh huh...

And the part of me that loves the fact that C.S. Lewis was also an INTJ is frightened by the fact that so is Arnold Schwarzenegger...

12:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

fyi www.INFJ.com

11:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home