Monday, September 18, 2006

Romance and Icy Wedding Guests

The air was full of love and a wintery chill this weekend, and N&S’s wedding was beautiful, perfect, lovely, romantic and all things wonderful.

The bus ride out went quite well! I was nervous about being in charge of entertainment, but I was soon all about the microphone, spouting my bad humour and foolish commentary. People laughed, but the jury is still out as to if they were laughing with or at me. Everyone liked the slideshow too, thank goodness!!! When we got up to the top of the hill, it was cold. It was snowy. I didn’t ever find galoshes, so I wore my winter boots instead (hot!!! I know, with the dress, I looked like a character from the Popeye Movie.) But people mostly dressed appropriately and even made a few snowman “guests” (too cute). The ceremony was short, but beautiful. Then there were pictures, and wine and cheese back on the toasty bus… mmmmmm, warm.

Most people slept on the bus ride home, so I gave up on entertaining them. Then dinner at the Danish Canadian Club, and speeches that made me cry. It was quite beautiful, and I think it was everything N&S hoped for. I didn’t bring my camera to the ceremony, because of all my “duties”, but many people took maaaany pictures, so I will post some as I receive them. I took some pics at the reception, although none of them are spectacular, but I will post those this week sometime.

I *DO* have to vent about one thing though: People and their inappropriate comments about me being single! One would THINK that family at a joyful occasion would display a certain sense of decorum. However, one after another, they came at me in the receiving line… Comment after comment:

“Still waiting on an invitation to YOUR wedding”
“Well, just YOU left now.”
“Still single, eh?”
“Tick Tock, ha ha ha.”

Are you KIDDING ME?!? I feel like Bridget Jones, standing there with all the Smug Married’s attacking me. No where to run. In the middle of a #^@%!*& field!!! And one after the other, they come at me with that smug look on their face, and I am STUNNED, defenseless, and completely shocked that they have to gall to say these things to my face.

Perhaps someone can shed some light as to why these people are so abrasive and vile as to attack me on my most sensitive issue, at the most inappropriate moment. What are they hoping will come out of this?
Do they think that I don’t realize that I’m single and 27 now? (27!!!!!!!)
Are they hoping that I will somehow justify my status?
Are they pleased at the prospect of making me cry on the top of a hill?
Are they hoping that I will say “Yes, I am hideous and unloved, thanks for pointing that out.”?

I’ve thought about this for two days now and I just can’t think what they’re hoping to get out of this confrontation. Perhaps even worse, my mum said that they were saying the same things about me to HER!!! So not only did I personally receive approximately 12 vile comments, my mum received countless others on my behalf (she won’t tell me how many, so that means it was a lot.) So not only were they discounting me as a hopeless, lost-cause old maid, but were accusing my mother of RAISING said hopeless, lost-cause old maid. For the love of all things holy. People need to shut the hell up. Because honestly, being the only single person at a wedding is hard enough, and commentary like that makes me want to shoot myself in the head.

*eh-hem* sorry for the rant!
Much love,

Hopeless, Lost-Cause Old Maid Formerly Known as ~g~

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Next funeral you're at start nudging people and asking "So..when're you next? ha ha ha" and see how they react.

-S

10:43 PM  
Blogger Kirsten said...

LOL - Love it. I agree! *grin*

We still love ya hon *hugs* (and I know plenty of guys who think you're hot and would love to date you if only you lived in the same province. In fact, some have commented that they hope they move to Cargary so they can meet you!).

11:07 AM  
Blogger Apartment Girl said...

*gasp* Really? Who?
Tell them I'm accepting resumes at this time ;)

2:25 PM  
Blogger Queen of Swords said...

*hugs* For what it's worth, Mike was on the receiving end of several comments about, "So, when are you guys getting married?" :P And I've been the single one at events before, and it's no fun at all. I think you did a fabulous job, you looked fabulous, even with the boots (and evil me will post a pic just to prove it!)! And, if I can be so bold, take it from one who knows. Single and 27 is not the end of the world. It'll happen when it's right. *hugs* again!

10:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*points to the queens comment* yeah... I had to deal with that for the wedding... *hugs*....



The Queens Mike

4:39 PM  
Blogger Apartment Girl said...

Awww, you guys are so sweet. And Butler, you're just funny! ... and a little bit scary. Hey, I thought you couldn't read my blog from China??? Don't make me send the government after you :P

8:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home