Friday, March 10, 2006

Lost: My mind. Reward. Please return.

This is claimed to be the first photograph of a tornado ever taken.
This is how my life has felt in this past week.
There has been a cyclone whirling in my head and my stomach and I am so ready to get off of this ride.
The interviews keep going SO well, but the positions just aren't right. They know it and I know it which leads to what feels like a huge marketing campaign where I am the product. Don't get me wrong, it's wonderful news. It's such a strange feeling. I just can't explain how I feel beyond the tornado. This is all going so well, just in such a different capacity than I have ever experienced. It's strange. I can't quite make out where I fit in this pantomime.
Today felt a little like the eye of the storm. Work was busy but quiet without many people there, and the world took on a bit of a surreal glow at times. Waiting for the bus to meet Kim I saw the strangest things; a man pushing a stroller with only an orange in it, a man in oil-cloth coveralls who was smoking a cigarette with urgent desperation, and two young teenage boys who were discussing "To Kill a Mockingbird" with such passion and excitement and hand gestures to emphasize how good the book was. It was so strange. My general reaction to such things would be to make up elaborate life stories about them... for example, the man with the infant orange was actually an undercover spy for a very uncreative underground organization. But today something about the lighting was weird and I just felt a sort of sad compassion for them. I thought the kids were amazing, though. That kind of an excitement for literature seems non-existent in most 15 year old boys. I almost thanked them for keeping it alive, this love for books. It was a very strange day.
Don't let the tornado get you...
Or the man with the orange, for that matter.
~gillian~

1 Comments:

Blogger Kirsten said...

Makes me think of Dorothy, her house spinning in the tornado, looking out her window and seeing all sorts of strange, wonderful and scary things...

Never fear, the tornado will stop, and your world will soon be in technicolour. You might even get a pair of great new shoes. ;)

6:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home