Monday, July 03, 2006

I Heart Education: My Love of Books and Sesame Street

For a few months now I've been forced to downsize and keep most of my stuff in a storage facility. With the booming market in Calgary, you have to take what you can get, and my limited space means that I'm living a very basic life. It's been hard, but the worst part is that most of my books are in storage. The books in this picture are pretty much the only ones I kept out. This has been the hardest thing for me. I have bins and bins of books, and I miss them so dearly. I'm very much an "emotional reader", and most of the books in my collection have very personal significance. I re-read certain ones when I'm happy, sad, frustrated, juvenile... I'm ashamed to say that being separated from my books has caused me many outbursts of frustrated tears. It seems I can go without most of my possessions, but my books are like old, trusted friends, with much personal history caught between the covers.

On that happy note, let's move on to other ways to wile away the hours. A few posts ago, during the Chicken Pox Episode of 2006, I mentioned that I was watching a lot of Sesame Street videos on YouTube. Today I found a blog that has a list of links to such videos, to help shuffle through other Truly Bizarre Nonsense on YouTube. Like most people born in the 70s, my life was deeply affected by Sesame Street. I don't think a day goes by without me thinking about SOMETHING from Sesame Street. Obsess much? But that was some damn wonderful, fun, educational television. Check it out, tons of fun! PLEASE let me know if anyone can find a copy of the Bert and Ernie Rhyming Game ("Hey there lamp, that's a nice shade!") or the animated short where a little boy who is lost is helped out by a psychedelic guy in a top hat ("I know I'm lost, I'm definitely lost!")
Until then, here are a few of my ALL TIME FAVES:
- Bert and Ernie "Heeeeeeeere fishy fishy FISHY"
- A-B-C-D-E-F-COOKIEMONSTER
- A loaf of bread, a container of milk, and a stick of butter
- Bert and Ernie in a pyramid (this was what sparked my love of all things Egyptian.. little known fact about me!)

Have fun everyone :)
~g~

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home